Thursday 17 July 2008

Hello from Beijing!

Hello from Beijing!
I am so behind in blogging that I will just have to talk about things randomly.

It's been almost a week in this huge massive city... it's filled with billions of people and probably millions of cars! Preparations for the upcoming Olympics are in the final stages and the international volunteers are all undergoing training for their respective events.

I was allocated to basketball, which is so so cool! It turned out that I was the only international volunteer at the basketball venue, the Wukesong stadium (which also houses the baseball events on the outdoor wing). The stadium looks spectacular... and incidentally the Chinese team were training. I caught a glimpse of Yao Ming, but wasn't quick enough to snap a photo!

That's a photo with my supervisor. She actually handpainted the dragons on our T-shirts with our names on it. There are 2 other Americans with me (from Emerson). They are allocated to baseball... (I still prefer basketball! :D)


Being an international volunteer at the basketball venue, I do get treated really nicely. It feels strange though because the training materials was all in Mandarin. I am not all that competent in Mandarin and so I can't say I understood every single thing they said. Thank goodness there were a few girls who were really friendly and patient enough to take me under their guidance!

Here's a generic shot of the entire group in training today!