Wednesday 19 December 2007

Annyeonghi kaseyo

Annyeonghi kaseyo (Goodbye to someone leaving in Korean)
My Korean housemate is leaving - for good.

It's strange really, coz I am leaving for Melbourne tomorrow and she's only leaving this Sunday. I get to say goodbye first... I wonder if that helps to take away some sadness.

I was looking forward to holidays and now it's just a plethora of mixed feelings.
Plus it's year end and my usual feel-ly, emo stuff starts acting up more as I reflect on the year.

Carrie only stayed in the house for less than 2 months and boy, she made an impact!
We held long conversations in loose English, yet we were able to understand each other perfectly aided by hand gestures and repeat phrases. I felt like we knew each other for years.

You know, we all know some friends we'll be comfortable with just staying silent. No conversation needed, just mere company. I realised it is not just with old friends - I found this level of comfort with Carrie.

So it's farewell for now, and hopefully that trip to Malaysia we verbally agreed on will happen.