Friday 28 December 2007

First Impressions of Sydney


I just arrived at Sydney a couple of hours ago. These first few hours is pretty impactful and quite enough for me to form first impressions.


People - They are focused with a no-nonsense attitude. Totally un-laid back, unlike relaxing Queenslanders. It's a tit-for-tat, which means, when u ask ONE question, u get ONE answer, no additional details offered. That was the case with the woman at the airport, bus-driver, stranger on the bus and stranger at the bus stop.
There was one kind soul though, this guy on the bus when I was trying to find my way to my friend's place - he is Italian on a working holiday visa, so maybe that's why he's friendly.

City - Sydney is like several cities knocked into one - CBD and skyscrapers in New York and London, Chinatown (roadside eating zi char stalls) in Petaling Street, KL and Chinatown, Singapore, high fashion shopping Champ Elysee of Paris, Xi Men Ding in Taipei, shorter version of Mongkok Street in Hong Kong and Docklands of Melbourne...

Weather - The sun in Sydney burns. And of all times, I just had to forget to bring my SPF on this trip! Darn!

I feel so tiny and kampong when I was walking around. Maybe because I have had 2 peaceful and quaint days staying at Bernice's place, surrounded by 9 puppies! :D
I miss them already!