Friday 17 August 2007

Ekka Eureka!

And so it's true HUGE soft toys are given away as prizes at fairs like this... I always saw this on Ang Moh TV but the scams at the Singapore funfairs eroded my outlook in life about this. I went to the annual Queensland state fair (aka Ekka), played some silly games and won these 2 huge stuff for a total investment of AUD35! Not too bad a deal ya? Erm, just one slight problem though - how am I going to bring these two huge thingies back home? Ekka was an experience... All things fun, festive, foodie and "farmed" gathered. There were thrill rides (I didn't dare try them - they look very hiong! Didn't want to puke my guts out!), loads of game stalls, a hall filled with all kind of foods, an area with stalls selling showbags (with multiple goodies in them), "farm" areas with sheeps, cows, piglets, birds, dogs, horses... It was a conglomeration of stuff! There was also a 10 minute display of fireworks which was not fantastic but alright. I only wish Singapore could figure out something of this scale too, it'll be awesome!! Then we are talking culture and tourism...
I went with 2 classmates from Journalism studies... Jerry (on the right) is from Nanjing, China and Candy is from Taiwan. Their level of Mandarin is superb and there's no way I can match up with theirs with my meagre knowledge of 4-word phrases! And even speaking Hokkien to Candy was a challenge too! Her Hokkien is the real authentic stuff... I was rather amused and amazed at the same time when I first heard it. Thank goodness she was not offended... haha! Anyway she had a good time laughing at my Mandarin too, so it's pretty fair! This is us at the enclosed farm animals area... we went crazy about the cute little furry things walking just right next to us! But this shot is the glamourous one - I fed a goat and it was licking my hand all over... absolutely grossly dripping wet! YEEKS! I still find the meh mehs cute though :P

Now I am just waiting eagerly for Riverfestival, yet another local festival and they say it features a spectacular display of fireworks. Looking forward to that! :D