Wednesday 8 August 2007

Real Life Imagery

This is an entirely different frame of mind from the afternoon where chocolate proved to be effective therapy and sleep-buster.

I haven't quite blogged about my Journo studies here... Now that Semester 2 has started I suppose there isn't much point to writing much about what happened in Sem 1. But very briefly, some of the highlights were
1) Interviewing people for radio news packages
2) Reading the news on radio (All the radio stuff do go on air!)
3) TV practicals which allowed me to do a PTC (piece to camera). This is the part that you watch reporters on TV on actual location and telling news as it is.
4) Interviewing and squeezing in a question to the DPM about the Aussie budget... they must be thinking why the heck do I bother about the budget being someone from overseas!

I thought I would enjoy TV journalism. Furthermore, the radio journalism in Singapore seemed contained in Caldecott Hill - nothing much really!
I changed my mind.

Radio news allowed me autonomy over my reporting and scripting. I selected the news angle I wanted to focus on, rather than the TV producers deciding what was newsworthy.

That was how Semester 1 went.

I am hoping to get experience in print journalism this Semester 2. After all, back home, print journalism is THE thing. At least that was what I thought when I was doing corporate communications.

I was just looking at a website for photojournalism www.worldpressphoto.org
It was startling to realise the award winning entries seemed to gear towards war, death, poverty and the likes... I never had a chance, or rather, never had exposure to these issues back home. Viewing the photos, I now do realise that we are indeed all but a dot on the world map...